News: If you experience problems as a regular member, like posting and viewing attachments, please contact admin immediately via the forum or World Wide Birds on Facebook.

• July 17, 2018, 05:34:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sponsored by Lumegen

Author Topic: Cites CoP17 PASA  (Read 643 times)

Boegie

• Administrator
Cites CoP17 PASA
« on: October 04, 2016, 06:45:45 PM »
My experience at Cites CoP17 held in Sandton, South Africa 2016.

I was privileged to attend this amazing event by invitation of PASA to assist at the stall. The following photos show my journey of a once in a lifetime event.

Photo 1 - At the preparation meeting just before Cites started.
Photo 2 - On my way to register, this march happened.
Photo 3 - What the march was all about.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:52:01 PM by Boegie »

Boegie

• Administrator
Re: Cites CoP17 PASA
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 08:00:30 PM »
Photo 1 - the PASA exhibition area.

Photo 2 - This video was showed to everybody passing by: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DId2o9jGxPw

It's not only PASA that is concerned. Tony Silva's view:

"This is not good news for the species or conservation. A CITES 1 listing will affect captive breeding operations, which account for about 80% of the Greys exported around the globe. Such captive bred birds have been undermining trade in wild individuals. Now this will stop, but will the demand and illegal trade come under control and stop? If the African countries which harbor populations have been unable to stop the demise of the elephant and rhino, what makes anyone believe they will enforce the protection of this species? Besides the species faces a huge problem: deforestation. No one has talked about stopping the loss of Africa´s forests, whites occurring at lightning speed. For bureaucrats It is easy to list the species on 1 and not address the real issues: Africa´s inability to control its wildlife because of corruption and deforestation.In the US an ESA listing will surely come. This will impact not only breeders but also rescues and foster homes, who will not be able to send birds from one state to another if anything of value (money, donation, etc) is exchanged."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:11:17 PM by Boegie »