News: If you experience problems as a regular member, like posting and viewing attachments, please contact admin immediately via the forum or World Wide Birds on Facebook.

  • January 22, 2019, 11:37:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sponsored by Lumegen

Author Topic: Death through rope perches and toys - by Johnny King  (Read 572 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Boegie

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 386
Death through rope perches and toys - by Johnny King
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:00:25 AM »
I have seen evidence of death through rope balls from rope used in cages and aviaries. Pictures were sent to me by a veterinarian of an Australian wildlife Sanctuary of rope balls found during birds autopsies. These birds had died of starvation.

Death by hanging from frayed rope is also common .
MULTISTRAND COLORED ROPE is the worst. NO ROPE FOR ME because I love my parrots.

Pet Parrot and Foreign Body Ingestion
 Author: Peter Wilson, Avian Vet

EXTRACT

If pet parrots are allowed unsupervised, free range of the house, they will chew on furniture, wood trim, electrical chords, metal ornaments, lead weights on the bottom of curtains etc., and will either poison themselves or poison their relationship with their owners.

For the purpose of this article, I will concentrate on several recent cases where the pet parrot has ingested/swallowed foreign material. (Most of which was supplied by well-meaning but misguided owners).

One sad case involved a little purple-crowned lorikeet that was brought to the surgery weak, thin, vomiting and near death. Unfortunately, the bird died shortly after being admitted. A subsequent post-mortem examination revealed that the stomach was impacted with coarse, fibrous material that resembled coconut fibre. The owner was contact and confirmed that the nest-box provided consisted of a coconut shell with the outer husk still attached.

Another case involved a single, pet cockatiel that was rushed to the surgery in a similar, serious condition. The little bird had been lethargic and vomiting for several days. It was near death when presented and also died shortly after being admitted for treatment. A post-mortem examination revealed that the stomach was impacted with blue, fibrous material. When the distraught owner was contacted, she realised that the bird had been chewing on a certified bird safe toy that incorporated blue fibre tassels as part of the toy.

The list continues. Fortunately more observant owners noted the subtle signs of their birds not being well before it was too late. In these cases it was possible to save their pets. Cockatiels, budgerigars, galahs, sulphur crested cockatoos have all been presented and treated for foreign body ingestion. Many of these pets have chewed on the towel covering their cage, the woven rope perches sold as being bird safe, fibres of carpet and curtains, you name it and your parrot will chew on it.

How can you prevent the pitfalls of foreign body ingestion?

Provide plenty of healthy, natural alternative for your pet to chew
 Avoid using towels or cloths with loose threads as cage covers
 Dont buy and toys with rope, chord or tassels
 Dont furnish your cage with woven, fibre, rope perches commonly sold in pet stores
 Supervise your pets when they are out of the cage

SHELL GRIT

Some people believe that parrots need shell grit.
THEY ARE NOT CHICKENS. Grit con obstruct intestines and cause death.


There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?